With respect to Jac. Linssen sr. the founder of Linssen Yachts, who passed away this month, we look back at our 71 year history. Each day we look back at specific time frame in history. We start with 1949 – 1970…
On 1 April exactly Jac. Linssen (†) started ‘Machinale Houtbewerking St. Jozef’ after the patron saint of carpenters, Saint Joseph.
Having trained as a shipwright at a small local shipyard, the young all-round craftsman initially concentrated on wood machining. He soon made his name with completely prefabricated solid teak wheelhouses for barges and teak doors for houses. His ships’ wheels, made from tropical hardwood and fitted with a boss construction developed and patented in house, were soon being used in the shipyards which were then flourishing throughout Europe.
The yard’s increasing business required a metalworking department so that large-scale ship repairs could also be carried out fully in house. Small steel rowing boats, work boats and small flat-bottomed boats for use on inland waterways and in the dredging industry called “vletten” were built in this metalworking department to Linssen Senior’s own design.